I had a really great day riding the ChicoVelo Wildflower Century ride. My 2nd year and it reminded me why it was my favorite ride last year.
The first climb warmed me up, the second buttered me up, and the third, well the third took a lot out of me. After that third climb it was entirely flat.
The second descent as we came out of paradise had a long straight second at a -6% grade. When the grade picked up to -8%, I got up to 50MPH . It felt very rewarding after that long climb.
I loved my new Soloist. On my previous bike when I hit sharp turns with lots of speed I noticed the bike would often understeer, then i'd have to brake some or really throw the bike down to make the turn. Attempting to brake while turning is just a recipe for disaster so mostly I tried to brake before the turn in the straightaway. For continuous S turns I was SOL.
Yesterday on my I noticed it did not understeer. I imagined a line I wanted the bike to take and I just went where I wanted it to like magic. At first I didn't notice I was braking as usual. But one time I carried too much speed into the turn, "Ut-OH" i thought... but the bike just did the turn the same as if it were going half the speed it really was. "Hmm" I thought and I let it rip into the next turn... perfect..
I spent a lot more money on this bike than the last one. yeah it's 3 lbs lighter, wonderful. But the ability to turn correctly is priceless.
I was not in the aerobars for the whole 100 miles, but I made myself sit in them as long as I could which was a long time. I feel confident I can use this bike at wildflower.
Only one issue. The thing has been squeeking all week. The LBS said it was because I had old cheap pedals. I took the pedals off and it still made the squeeking sound. Well it's probably nothing. I rode on it. at mile 50 I notice a mechanic supporting the race and he takes a look at it. 'Thats not safe!" hs says. Apparently my crank is coming off and my bottom bracket is sliding out. he tightens it. on my way but the squeeking starts quickly. At the next stop I have another mechanic look at it. He says it's too tight now, lubes everything up and says it's Ok to ride on but I should have my LBS look at it.
No comments:
Post a Comment